Did you know? 52% of 8-11 year olds have their own tablet and 23% have their own social media account. 94% of this age group spend a staggering 13 1/2 hrs a week online!
The internet is a wonderful resource and place for children to learn. In school, the children regularly use the internet in their work. At school we carefully filter and monitor the children’s use of the internet, but this is often difficult at home.
We hope the following information for parents/carers/pupils will help them keep them safe online. Here are some tips and useful links to help you:
- Explore e-safety sites - There are many of links below to useful e-safety sites for children. They are great fun to explore, so why not browse through them with your children?
- Facebook and many other social media platforms have a minimum age limit of 13, so our pupils should NOT be using them.
- Keep your computer or tablet in a shared area - Talk to your child about what they are doing online and, if possible, set up your computer or get them to use the tablet in a shared area at home so that you can oversee their use.
- Talk to your child about what they should do if they see something they don’t like or find something upsetting.
- Don’t delete any inappropriate messages save them in case you need them in future.
Some links to more information:
CEOP (the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre) runs the information & reporting website with links to Think U Know.
Think U Know contains internet safety advice for those aged from 5 to 16, along with parents and teachers, copy/paste links below :
Parents /Carers : https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/
UK Safer Internet Centre has advice and resources for parents and children: https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/
The NSPCC has lots of good quality advice about talking to your child about their internet use: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/
Net Aware is a great place to check out the range of apps used by children, explaining their benefits and potential risks: https://www.net-aware.org.uk/
Internet Safety Zone - Look in the 'Under 13s' section for useful safety advice and information.
Kidsmart - An award-winning internet safety programme for children.
Know IT All - lots of useful advice for keeping yourselves and your children safe on the Internet.
Bullying UK - Information and advice about bullying for children, parents and schools.
Kidscape - An organisation which helps to prevent bullying and child abuse.
Childline - ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK